Aye! It’s approaching, the summer is gradually coming to an end and we are warming up for longer nights, shorter days, colorful leaves, very cool temperatures, sweatshirt time and natural sporting weather. Besides the weather, your food choices will likely change as well (and not just toward pumpkin spice lattes).
We’ll start using more fresh fall produce to create warm and comforting food dishes. After the summer weather, do as much as you can to keep on your healthy track and not fall off the wagon too much. To get you off on the right foot, give this twist on perennial favorite a try.
Total time: 15 minutes
This quick meal suitably prepared for fall will keep you full until lunch. Of course, our favorite fruit – avocado, stands in for butter. Serves one, but doubling up takes no additional time.
- Half a small ripe avocado (well sliced or mashed to a creamy smooth texture). Keep the other half wrapped tight and with the pit.
- 2 slices of toasted bread of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- Season the small ripe sliced avocado with pinch of salt and top the toasts.
- Using a large non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil slightly on a medium-low setting and add the cumin red pepper flakes. Allow to cook for a bit so they can release their flavors into the oil.
- Crack your eggs into the skillet and fry moderately – leaving them to their own for 2 to 3 minutes. Once the whites are set but the yolks are still runny set the eggs on the avocado-ed toast.
- Drizzle the cumin and red pepper oil from the pan over the open sandwiches and enjoy.
If you’re fan of mushrooms, adding some sliced or quartered fungis (get it?) to the pan makes an amazing mini side dish. Be sure to check out our other recipes for additional inspiration.